ZERO WASTE BEAUTY
Lately, you may have seen the word “zero waste” on your beauty products. Recently a Skincare brand R and R luxury recently repackaged her skincare products to be zero waste and this shows that this skincare trend is growing popular even in Africa.
WHAT DOES ZERO WASTE REALLY MEAN
Zero waste means making sure that product packages do not end up in the landfill by limiting what goes directly into the trash and this can be in different ways;
- The product is reusable
- The products can be recycled
- There is no packaging or no packaging waste.
- There is an option for a refill of the contents of a product when it has finished.
WHAT IS THE IMPORTANCE OF ZERO WASTE
Beauty brands produce about 77 billion units of plastic packaging per year, and over 70 percent of that ends up in landfills. Also, packaging accounts for 40 percent of the world’s plastics. All these contribute to global environmental hazards and pollution. This global waste problem has made its way to the forefront of the news and it is important to address it by creating what we now know as “zero waste “.
HOW TO MAKE A ZERO WASTE ROUTINE ACTUALLY DOABLE.
You can start out slowly by doing small things to reduce waste, which will make a huge impact in the long run. Anne-Marie Bonneau, also known as Zero Waste Chef, recently said, “We don’t need a handful of people doing zero waste perfectly. We need millions of people doing it imperfectly”.
You can start by ;
- Using fewer skin care products in your routine. DO NOT BUY WHAT YOU DON’T NEED
- Swapping out single-use beauty products (things you use once and throw away with sustainable alternatives) e.g. face wipes, cotton pad for a washcloth etc.
- Recycle your empties; so nothing gets thrown away.
- Use products with eco-friendly ingredients and try to stay away from ingredients that are petrochemicals e.g. mineral oils, paraffin wax, Toluene, Benzene and ingredients preceded by propyl-, butyl- PEG
- Choosing products with refillable packaging like Fenty Skin. Once you run out of the contents in the package all you need do is to take it back for a refill.
So, are you going to commit to zero waste beauty?